Yarriambiack Youth Services have been in existence in one form or another since it was established in 1994, providing young people aged 10 to 25 years with access to up to date information and relevant services.
In late 2013, Yarriambiack Shire Council started a process to develop a new Youth Plan. The aim of the Youth Plan is to provide a strategic direction for the development and coordination of youth services and infrastructure in Yarriambiack Shire Council for the period 2014 – 2018.
One of the main components of the Youth Plan was the recruitment of a Youth Engagement Officer. This new role was charged with delivering on the Youth Plan in these areas:
• Facilitating coordination and collaboration between local Health services, Council and schools
• Establishment of a Youth Action Council and development of Youth leadership activities across the Yarriambiack Shire
• Advocacy and support for health and well being services
• Review and develop priorities of plan and to report to Council on progress
• The Youth Engagement Officer is based in Warracknabeal and travels out to all towns in the Yarriambiack Shire.
And also on these areas of Community Participation:
• Develop consultative mechanisms with and for young people, to ensure their issues and needs are represented in various forums
• Coordinate youth development initiatives within the community
• Identify opportunities for collaborative community benefit work between young people and the community
• Provide a link between Council activities, programs and objectives to the community.
To contact the Yarriambiack Youth Engagement Officer please call 03 5398 0106.
Lifeline: 131 114
Kids Helpline: 1800 55 1800
Parent Line: 132 289
Men’s Line: 1300 789 978
Horsham Psychiatric Services: 1300 661 323
Suicide Call Back Service: 1300 659 467