Disabled Persons Parking Scheme
Apply for a disabled parking permit
Victoria is transitioning to the new Accessible Parking Permit (APP) Scheme and online administration system. From 22 March 2021, our Council will be transitioning to the new APP Scheme. Our residents and organisations who require a new permit, or need to renew or replace a permit, will need to apply with the new application process.
The new APP Scheme will streamline the application process, making it easier, simpler and consistent across the state. The new permit also will better align with the COAG 2010 Australian Disability Parking Permit Scheme (ADPS).
Improvements to the Scheme include:
• introduction of temporary permits for 6, 12 or 24 months,
• increased permit length, from 3 years to 5 years for individuals
• introduction of a permanent disability classification, so reassessments are not required for some people’s future permit renewals,
• a new single and secure state-wide permit design that will reduce the misuse of permits,
• the inclusion of occupational therapists as assessors, in addition to GPs, and
• Double Time (green permits) and permits for organisations will continue under the new scheme.
How to Apply
Individual applicant – renewing or applying for a new permit
1. Start your application online at accessibleparking.vic.gov.au
2. You’ll receive an application reference number via SMS*
3. Take your reference number to your GP or occupational therapist
4. Your GP or occupational therapist will complete an online assessment and submit your application
5. Your local council will review the application
6. If your application is successful, you’ll receive your permit in the mail.
*A paper-based version of the application is available if you don’t have access to a mobile phone or the internet. Please contact our customer service centre if you require a paper form.
Replacing an Existing Permit
1. Start your replacement application online at accessibleparking.vic.gov.au
2. You’ll receive a replacement application reference number via SMS and email
3. Your local council will review the application
4. If your application is successful, you’ll pick up the permit from your council.
Help is here! Find more information to common questions, application process and dispute resolution here.
Still need help? If you need assistance with your application, or have questions on changes in the new APP Scheme, contact us on (03) 5398 0100.