Building & Planning


Any use or development of land in the Shire must comply with the provisions of the Yarriambiack Planning Scheme (the Scheme). The Scheme controls the use and development of land with the intent of:

  • Providing a clear and consistent framework within which decisions about the use and development of land can be made
  • Expressing state, regional, local and community expectations for areas and land uses
  • Implementing State, regional and local policies affecting land use and development
  • Achieving a high standard of development and environment for us all, now and into the future

Before commencing any use or development on your land please discuss your intentions with council to check relevant requirements under the scheme through the:

  • Zones (for example Commercial, Industrial, Residential, Township, Farming);
  • Overlays (for example Land Subject to Inundation Overlay, Bushfire Management Overlay, Environmental Significance Overlay); and
  • Other particular provisions (for example Car parking, Signs, Development adjoining a Road in a Road Zone like the Henty, Borung, and Sunraysia Highways).

For more information seeĀ Applying for a Planning Permit.


If you plan to do any building work, you should check with us first to find out if you need a Building Permit. A Building Permit ensures your building project is built by registered and insured builders, has the correct documentation, is inspected at different stages of work and is independently assessed as suitable or occupation upon completion.

Most building works require a building permit irrespective of their size and cost. Please contact Council to discuss your building proposal.

If a planning permit is required for the development, a building permit cannot be approved until a planning permit has been issued.

The responsibilities of the Municipal Building Surveyor include dealing with assessing applications for permits, investigation of breaches to Building Legislation, reporting authority.

For more information on building in Yarriambiack seeĀ Applying for a Building Permit.

In This Section