First surveyed in 1873, the town located on Dunmunkle Creek was originally known as Lallat but by 1876 had become known as Rupanyup, Aboriginal word meaning "branch hanging over water". The striking central plantation and landscaped area that divides the Wimmera Highway as it passes through the centre of town entices the weary traveller to stop, relax and soak up the atmosphere of this delightful Wimmera Township. The Rupanyup Railway Station dates from 1890 and the Post Office, the Memorial Hall (a former cinema), the old CBA Bank and the Commercial Hotel all have their own special character. The Anglican Church (1912), Masonic Lodge (1918) and the heritage listed Primary School (1878) are other notable buildings and the paper recycling depot began life as the Morrl Morrl School in 1885 before being relocated to its current site. The local cemetery off Dyer Street also provides an insight into the early history of the district.
Woods' Farming & Heritage Museum - Wimmera Highway
An amazing collection of stationary engines, tractors, tools and farm and household memorabilia. Open by appointment only - mob. 0427159154 or tel. 03 5385 5036.
In the middle of town, is an example of an old-style general store named after one of the first shops erected within the town.
The Old Four Mill
In Gibson St is an early and rare example of a portable mill of galvanized iron construction and is adjacent to the first reinforced concrete silos built in the southern hemisphere. These were designed by Sir John Monash and erected in 1909.
The Local RSL Hall
Located in Cromie Street and owns one of only 9 original scale models of the Melbourne Shrine of Remembrance.
Jack Emmett Billabong and Rupanyup Memorial Park
A recent addition to the attractions of the town is an artificial lake, surrounded by native trees and shrubs that have been constructed next to the highway at the northern end of town by the local Lions Club. Caravan & Camping facilities are also provided.